Margaret R. Grundy Memorial Library Archives

[Bristol’s first Town Hall, 1831-1938, located in the center of Market Street facing Radcliffe Street]

Item

Dublin Core

Identifier

7.9.047

Description

Built in 1831 to obtain $200 that was left by Samuel Scotton, for the purchase of a “town clock.” The cost of the building was $2,700. The clock was $500, the town bell cost $156, the lot was $300, and incidental expenses were $125 totaling to $3,781. In 1938, this town hall was torn down. The building’s bell has since been exhibited on the lawn near the entrance to the municipal building at Pond and Mulberry Street.

Note: The Coca Cola sign on the wall of the building to the left of the town hall was painted over sometime after this photograph and was covered until it was rediscovered in 1999. The Coca Cola Company had it repainted in 2006 and the image was changed to a 1947 picture.

Date

circa 1930

Rights

Digitized versions of archival materials made available by The Margaret R. Grundy Memorial Library are intended for study, research, and scholarly purposes only with proper citation of the material. For inquiries regarding use permissions, please contact the Archivist directly at archive@grundylibrary.org.

Due to the nature of some legacy collections, we do not know the exact origin of copyright and/or intellectual property rights for some of our materials, and their publication is free and clear of infringement claims sought by copyright owners. To make our information more accurate, we are eager to hear from any rights owners who might know of certain collection items’ origins.

Collection

Citation

“[Bristol’s first Town Hall, 1831-1938, located in the center of Market Street facing Radcliffe Street],” Margaret R. Grundy Memorial Library Archives, accessed February 24, 2024, https://archive.grundylibrary.org/items/show/1278.