Margaret R. Grundy Memorial Library Archives

[The 400 block of Mill Street circa 1958-1959]


Dublin Core




On the left is Kanter’s Ladies and Men’s Clothing store at number 400. At the right end of the photograph is the Bristol Playhouse, the former Grand Theater. To the left of the theater building is Norman’s Stationary, Cards, Office Supplies and Gifts Store (number 416).

The theater (Playhouse) operated for several years as a summer venue. Major Hollywood stars and theater personalities acted there. The Grand Theater was Bristol’s largest theater. It opened in 1929 to replace the Forrest Theater which had been destroyed by fire at that location. Seating capacity at the Grand was 1,500.


circa 1958-1959


Digitized versions of archival materials made available by The Margaret R. Grundy Memorial Library are intended for study, research, and scholarly purposes only with proper citation of the material. For inquiries regarding use permissions, please contact the Archivist directly at

Due to the nature of some legacy collections, we do not know the exact origin of copyright and/or intellectual property rights for some of our materials, and their publication is free and clear of infringement claims sought by copyright owners. To make our information more accurate, we are eager to hear from any rights owners who might know of certain collection items’ origins.


“[The 400 block of Mill Street circa 1958-1959],” Margaret R. Grundy Memorial Library Archives, accessed May 19, 2024,