Margaret R. Grundy Memorial Library Archives

[Mannherz Barber Shop at 125 Radcliffe Street]


Dublin Core




Pictured are Nicholas Mannherz (1911-1969), proprietor, and employee Joseph Cuttone. Patron is unidentified.

Nicholas purchased the shop from his father Peter’s estate in 1942. Peter died in 1941. Upon Nicholas’s death, Joe Cuttone took over the business in 1969. The building was then sold to an investor. Based on the Grand Theater poster in the photograph, this image was taken around 1946.

The Mannherz family had a farm in the Edgely section of Bristol Township. Peter originally had a barber shop in the main street in Tullytown, before moving to Bristol. Nicholas’s family moved to 283 West Circle in 1946 from an apartment at Farragut Avenue and Monroe Street. Mary Jane Mannherz was a previous director of the Margaret R. Grundy Memorial Library and is the daughter of Nicholas and Jane Mannherz.


circa 1946


Digitized versions of archival materials made available by The Margaret R. Grundy Memorial Library are intended for study, research, and scholarly purposes only with proper citation of the material. For inquiries regarding use permissions, please contact the Archivist directly at

Due to the nature of some legacy collections, we do not know the exact origin of copyright and/or intellectual property rights for some of our materials, and their publication is free and clear of infringement claims sought by copyright owners. To make our information more accurate, we are eager to hear from any rights owners who might know of certain collection items’ origins.



“[Mannherz Barber Shop at 125 Radcliffe Street],” Margaret R. Grundy Memorial Library Archives, accessed July 25, 2024,