Small Business

Dublin Core




Small Business


Binder 16b


Harold and Carol Mitchener, compiled and organized the photographs into the binders and identified most of the items.


Digitized versions of archival materials made available by The Margaret R. Grundy Memorial Library are intended for study, research, and scholarly purposes only with proper citation of the material. For inquiries regarding use permissions, please contact the Archivist directly at

Due to the nature of some legacy collections, we do not know the exact origin of copyright and/or intellectual property rights for some of our materials, and their publication is free and clear of infringement claims sought by copyright owners. To make our information more accurate, we are eager to hear from any rights owners who might know of certain collection items’ origins.

Collection Items

[Fishing along the Delaware River below the Mill Street Wharf]
Primarily caught in this section were shad fish, which laid eggs in the spring. Richard Russel, also known as “Dick Shad,” made a business of buying and selling shad. Russel was a former slave who made a good living by not only selling fish and…

[Store at the corner of Mill and Radcliffe Streets, 101 and 103, opposite the King George Inn]
A house was built in the federal style by John Bessonett at this site circa 1805. He was the proprietor of the King George Hotel across the street. General Lafayette was entertained at this building September 8, 1824. The store front was added to the…

[House at the corner of Dorrance Street and Cedar Street, owned by Ellis Comfort]
His son Ellis “Skeetz” Comfort then became owner of the house. Ellis Comfort operated a livery stable behind the house and rented carriages for special occasions, such as funerals. Skeetz had an antique repair shop behind the house until it…

[Cesare’s Restaurant, 1407 Radcliffe Street]
Originally called Cesare’s Tomato Pies. Proprietors were John Petolillo and Louis J. Silvestro. Donald Petolillo, son of John Petolillo, is the owner as of 2003.

[Bowen’s Restaurant, Farragut Avenue near Green Lane]
Later became the O’Boyles Ice Cream building, opposite of the Wawa Store and American Hose Hook and Ladder Fire Co. (as of 1998).

"Penn Realty Co." [advertisement]
Owner Samuel U. Gratz. Real estate appraisers, as well as sales and rentals of real estate and insurance. 443 Mill Street, Bristol, PA
View all 51 items

Collection Tree